Thursday, January 17, 2013

Beef stew bento

I was very pleased to prepare and deliver this to Takoyaki (who had supp class) at lunchtime today, when I went to pick RM up. Thankful I didn't have to pack it early in the morning, phew!


Beef stew, macaroni, mango and grapes. I came up with my own recipe for this stew, because I was in a hurry and didn't want to bother with using the computer. I used fresh herbs from my container garden.

Lulu's Beef Stew (revised)
1 kg beef muscle, cut into bite-sized pieces
5 tbsps plain flour
1 large onion, finely chopped or sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary (or pinch of dried)
1 sprig fresh oregano (or pinch of dried)
1 sprig fresh thyme (or pinch of dried)
1 bay leaf
1 litre beef stock
2 large carrots, chopped into large chunks
1/2 cup red wine
dash pepper

Method:
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat for about 1 min. Toss beef in flour and dump into pot. Try to brown all sides of beef, about 3 min.
Add onion, garlic, herbs (including bay leaf) and continue frying for about 2 min.
Add all the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Lower to gentle simmer, simmer at least 2 hours, or till beef is tender and tendons have turned into "jelly". Taste and adjust seasoning.
Remove herbs and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...